Due to the current pandemic, the time our children spend connected to the network through different devices has grown considerably, a large part of them spend a large part of the day on the PC due to their virtual classes, but they are also exposed to information and promoted activities. from social networks.
To think that our children are completely safe because we have them at home all the time is a serious mistake, this increase in the time that children are on the internet represents a huge risk scenario and that is why we must not stop being pending and give them a adequate accompaniment.
Communication with our children, talking to them about these risks is key because today most children already have a cell phone and are highly exposed to criminals who use multiple platforms to attack them.
«Es importante que en niños de edades menores a 12 años hagamos mucho énfasis en la importancia de no hablar con personas que no conozca, esta edad es la más propensa a hablar con extraños y el uso de internet permite que los pederastas usen identidades falsas, haciéndose pasar por niños de su misma edad, esto es identidad distorsionada y es una práctica que viene en crecimiento» Menciona Christian Espinosa, experto digital.
In this sense, Esther Ruiz, Child Protection Specialist from UNICEF for Latin America and the Caribbean, he stressed that “now, children and adolescents may have the same problems as when they went out; they can be harassed and become victims of unhealthy relationships. The first and most important thing is that you talk to them and to them and recognize what they are going through and thus assess whether they can help you as mothers, fathers or caregivers or if you need professional support ”.
More and more children are connected to the Internet and more and more tools that disguise themselves as games or activity platforms to captivate children and begin to extract information that is then used to bribe them.
«Whatsapp has also become a tool that is too dangerous for children and where it becomes more difficult to have control over what young people talk about. The recommendation is that before the age of 16 the children do not have WhatsApp »Espinosa complements.
We must speak clearly with them about what is privacy and what is parental control, that children see it as an accompaniment and not as a violation of their privacy.
Some recommendations that we want to give you from RedMujeresxelMundo are:
- Maintain good and constant communication with your children about the risks that exist on the internet, do it in a purposeful and constructive way.
- Teach your children to do u
- It is one of the tools available to maintain security and privacy in social networks, for example not leaving your profile picture visible if the person is not a known contact of them.
- Explain clearly to him that he is a pedophile, a cybercriminal, a cyberbully, how to identify him and what to do if he is contacted by one of them.
- Learn how to use digital tools, activate parental controls on your connecting devices.
- Be clear about what to do and who to turn to in case you have a situation like these.
We want to invite you to see this video where you will have more recommendations that will help you protect your children.